Sunday, 19 January 2014
Chocolate Hazelnut Cake | Recipe
Chocolate and Hazelnut make such a great combination. I mean look at Nutella - possibly the only spread that's acceptable to eat out the jar with a spoon; by itself. So I took it upon myself to make this Chocolate Hazelnut cake (with Nutella frosting) for Chris' mum's birthday - save to say it's good enough for the blog when 4 of us polished off the whole cake (what diet?!)
This recipe is adapted from Women & Home
185g unsalted butter, soft
125g caster sugar
4 medium eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
150g SR flour
20g cocoa powder
100g dark chocolate, melted
1 tsp baking powder
splash of milk
140g icing sugar
40g unsalted butter, soft
100g cream cheese
3 tbsp Nutella
30g hazelnuts, crushed
1. Beat together the butter and sugar until fluffy
2. Add the eggs and the vanilla and beat together until well combined
3. Sift in the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder and fold together with a spoon
4. Add in the cooled, melted chocolate and a splash of milk and stir
5. Divide the mixture between two greased 18cm cake tins and bake on the same shelf for 20 minutes at 180c or until a knife comes out clean.
6. Leave to cool in there tins for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
7. To make the frosting combine all the ingredients into a food processor and blend until well combined. In a blender crush the hazelnuts. Spread the mixture on to one layer of the cake, sandwich with the other one and put another layer of the frosting on the top. Top with the crushed hazelnut and a drizzle of melted chocolate.
Follow my blog on bloglovin'
Follow me on Twitter