I've been a bit quiet on the blog recently due to starting my new job, which is great and I'm loving it but wanting to get settled, it being quite busy and having a longer commute I have been neglecting my baking (much to Chris' disappointment). However, when my friend, Dani, mentioned she was in town and wanted to pop round I knew this was my calling to get back in the kitchen. Also, she's gluten intolerant and I wanted a challenge. Haha.
Doing some research this week on gluten free bakes I was surprised that most recipes now just substitute ordinary plain flour for a different kind of non-wheat flour and to me I guess that felt like cheating. I wanted to make something with NO flour and so when I came across the Mary Berry Chocolate Roulade I knew that this was going to be my bake. However, me being me I couldn't just follow a recipe and with about 3 full jars of Nutella in the cupboard (I have a problem...) I knew this needed to be the twist on it.
The Nutella made the roulade/swiss roll go seriously fudgey, you can kind of see in the pictures. It tasted incredible! It wasn't heavy or sickly at all it was just melt in the mouth, fudgey, Nutella goodness. It did however mean it was quite difficult to roll and it did crack quite a bit, making it not the prettiest swiss roll ever but like I said on Instagram - it has Nutella in and is gluten free so who cares?!
6 eggs, separated
175g caster sugar
1 cup of nutella, plus extra for spreading
2 tbsp cocoa powder, plus extra for decoration
300ml double cream
Handful of hazelnuts, crushed
1. Preheat the oven to 180c and grease and line a high sided baking tray/swiss roll tin with greaseproof paper.
2. Melt the nutella for about 20 seconds in the microwave and set to one side
3. In a bowl whisk the egg whites until they are stiff, but not dry
4. In a separate bowl beat together the egg yolks and the caster sugar for about 2-3 minutes until combined, creamy and smooth
5. Gently stir the nutella into the egg yolk/sugar mixture until combined, then add two spoonfuls of the egg white mixture to loosen it.
6. Add the rest of the egg whites and carefully fold in until everything is mixed together
7. Sieve in the cocoa powder and give a final stir
8. Pour the mixture into the tray and make sure evenly spread. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes
9. Leave to cool completely. Meanwhile whip the cream until it holds it shape, then stir through the crushed hazelnuts.
10. Once the sponge is completely cool, turn on to a sheet of greaseproof paper, then peel off the greaseproof paper that's on the bottom of the sponge
11. Leaving a 2cm border around the edges, spread a thin layer of nutella onto the sponge and then spread out the whipped cream so it's even.
12. With one of the shortest sides facing you make a small slit with a knife (don't go all the way through) into the sponge, this will help with the first roll. Gently continue to roll tightly, using the greaseproof paper to help you - pulling it away from you whilst you roll
13. Decorate with a sprinkling of cocoa powder
Follow me on Twitter